Monday, June 10, 2013

What is that Strange Sound???

Don't panic. I'm still here.

At a friend's wedding last week, someone pointed out to me with something like panic in her voice the fact that I hadn't blogged in several weeks. A few others then voiced their similar urgings that I blog immediately! and so on. This was kind of interesting. I hadn't realized anyone liked my blog that much. But then, there's the fact that in order to blog, one needs a topic. And I haven't had any of those of late. So I said, "Okay, what should I blog about?" Nobody had any suggestions. Well, except for Patrick Forgey, who said I should blog about chickens. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), all I know about chickens is that they are sometimes named Kevin and they can say moo.

Don't ask.

Then I remembered I'd wanted to do a music blog post and I was like, hey! I could finally do that! And that pretty much leads us up to this point right here.

In the 2007 film Across the Universe, a musical drama inspired by the songs of the Beatles, guitarist Jojo says at one point, "Music's the only thing makes sense anymore. If you play it loud enough, it keeps the demons away." I always liked that quote.

I have always loved music; and, as Jojo said, it's always made sense in a way nothing else did. I was never an athlete in any way, shape, or form; but I grew up singing to the cows in the barn. I've always been hungry for new tunes, for a new melody that was unlike anything I'd ever heard before. There's this feeling that comes with powerful music--you can turn the volume all the way up in your headphones, close your eyes, and feel the music swallow you up. And if it's that song, that new melody or amazing instrumental section, you don't want to let it spit you out when the song is over. *sigh* It's a good feeling.

I've also always been kind of a big fan of those obscure songs. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing when they don't stay obscure for long--I suppose the artist should be happy, but the rest of us are kind of sad that someone discovered our secret. But you know, the songs they play to death on the radio--those are really good for about a week. And then everyone starts singing them all the time and using their lyrics as status updates with some sort of tag like "ahhh it's like [insert artist name here] put my feelings to music! <3 " and within a month or so nobody wants to hear that song anymore. But those obscure songs, they're like secret watering holes. You only tell a precious few about them because you don't want them to get so popular that the awesomeness dries up; but I mean, you have to tell somebody about this revelation! To withhold it would be a great disservice, wouldn't it?

So, in confidence that you will cherish these songs as I have and allow them to remain little-known until they're ready to step into the limelight, I've decided to share with you ten of my favorite "obscure-ish" songs. My goal is that (A) you'll only have already heard of one or two of them, if any, and (B) maybe one of them will show you something you didn't know before.

10 Songs You've Probably Never Heard Of (but should go check out):

  1. "Broadripple is Burning" by Margot and the Nuclear So & So's. I discovered this one earlier this year and it's unexpectedly become one of my all-time favorite songs. It tells a sad story of a dwindling small town, accompanied by simple guitar and a gorgeous sorrowful harmonica part. Seriously, does anything make a heart bleed like a harmonica? I will warn you that this one contains one or two instances of profanity, if you are opposed to that sort of thing or plan on showing it to your ultra-conservative grandmother. But I love this song. 
  2. "Down in the Valley" by The Head and the Heart. I even love the title of this song. Other than that, I can't put my finger on what specifically makes it so great. I just know that it is. You know that old saying, "less is more"? I feel like that's what's been done here. It doesn't overdo anything; as Baby Bear would say, it's "just right." It's a man's honest view of life, and has the recurring line, "Lord, have mercy on my rough and rowdy ways." You don't hear that kind of plea very often in secular music. But it's out there if you listen for it.
  3. "Vapour Trail" by Ride. It's one of those love songs with lyrics you sort of get, sort of don't, but it doesn't matter in the end because it sounds awesome and the melody makes sense. The real stunner of this song, however, is found in the strings at the end. The last minute or so features a string quartet, and I could listen to it play all day long. Mmmm.
  4. "On Your Porch" by The Format. Before Fun. frontman Nate Reuss' voice was everywhere (and it should be--it's amazing), it was found in an American indie rock band called The Format. I didn't so much care for this song at first, but it really grew on me. There's a good story in it, something many can probably relate to. It's got good, appropriately-placed harmonies and just might make you cry. 
  5. "Anywhere" by Evanescence. So I had this phase, growing up, this Evanescence phase, and during that time I pretty much got a hold of everything Evanescence ever put out and memorized it all. "Anywhere" is easily my favorite thing they've ever done. Unfortunately, it was on an album they released way early on and it's pretty hard to find (but don't panic, Youtube has the song). This song will remind you why you loved Amy Lee's voice in the heydays of Evanescence. It's a much nicer, brighter song than most of their mainstream stuff. Oh, and stay tuned towards the end of the song for the awkward "yeah, yeahs" that make you wonder whether they're supposed to be there or not. It might make you want to start flying. Or at the very least, it'll make you want to dig out all those old Evanescence tracks you used to listen to. (Come on. I know I'm not the only one!)
  6. "Bullets" by Tunng. I'm not going to lie, the intro of this song kind of makes me want to vomit. But the rest of the song--the lyrics, simple melody, and odd instrumentals are awesome. This is my kind of poetry. It doesn't make sense. But it does. You know? Me neither.
  7. "Sleeping Sickness" by City and Colour. Vocalist Dallas Green has a stupid gorgeous voice, and he really works magic on this song. The melody is unique, and after the first few times you hear it you won't be able to stop yourself from headbanging and singing along on the chorus. The guitar chords to this song are simple and repetitive, but you don't even notice because Green's voice is so rockin'. 
  8. "The Banjolin Song" by Mumford & Sons. Have you ever even heard of a banjolin? Because I hadn't. And apparently the computer hasn't either, because it keeps underlining the word in red. This one might take some searching, but it's worth seeking out. It's got all the things a good Mumford & Sons song has--meaningful lyrics we rarely hear anymore, Marcus Mumford wailing in that gritty awesome voice of his, and awesome instrumentals courtesy of, yes, the banjolin. Which, in case you were wondering, is "a type of 4-string banjo pitched in the same register as the mandolin." (Thank you Wikipedia for that definition. If it is incorrect, please remember that this is Wikipedia we're talking about. And go check out this song.)
  9. "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by Sleeping at Last. The first thing I notice about any TV show is if their background music is any good. That's how I knew I'd come to love my favorite show, Grey's Anatomy. The music on this show is great. One of their more recent episodes featured a new, acoustic cover of the Proclaimer's well-known hit "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by Sleeping at Last. It's a completely different feel than the original--it's slower and without that marching tempo of the original. Now, I love the original. But this is gorgeous. I'm just saying.
  10.  "O Holy Night" by Apocalyptica. Yes, you read that right. I know this is a Christmas song and it's the middle of June, but you need to know this exists. In case you're not familiar with Apocalyptica, they're a Finnish metal band composed of three cellists. Most of their stuff is gorgeous but pretty heavy and dark-sounding; so when I found out they'd come out with a version of one of my favorite Christmas songs ever (a sacred one, no less), I just about had a stroke. And I love what they did with the song. I'm anxious to hear what you think.
There you have it, folks! Got a favorite, or another suggestion? Tell me about it in the comments. I'm really curious! Till next time, Kevin the chicken says moo.

Don't ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment