Monday, April 22, 2013

A Photo Blog--or Flog, if you will--Because Today I'm Lazy

Well, folks...we're wrapping up another Monday.

But hey! It hasn't been a bad Monday. Okay, it hasn't been a bad Monday for me at least. And I know we've still got about an hour and there's still time for it to go downhill...

Alright, well, at least I gave positivism a try. Maybe it's not for me.


Still, I can't help but be a little jollier than usual today. The sun is shining, the tank is clean...*gasp!*

THE TANK IS CLEAN.

Sorry. I don't know if you knew this about me, but I can throw an unnecessary movie/TV/meme quote into almost any conversation. It can occasionally be problematic. Like, if someone is about to tell me some great news and they say, "GUESS WHAT?!" and then I go, "You just saved a whole bunch of money on your car insurance by switching to Geico?!" Surprisingly, that's not what people are usually excited about. Kind of like what people really need usually isn't "MORE COWBELL!" And that's just unfortunate.

Also, I'm easily distracted and--



You get the idea. One of the girls I used to coach in softball called it A.D.O.S.--attention deficit OOH SHINY! Is that politically correct to say? I don't know, but it's awesome.

Anyway. I suppose something that sticks out about this Monday is that I won a writing award from the English department. It's kind of funny, because the "award" isn't actually that cool--it's a regular certificate, and it was placed in this plastic frame that seriously looks like it'll snap in half if I breathe on it wrong, and the clear plastic of the frame is so glare-ifying that when I got back to my seat I placed it facedown immediately and didn't even look at it till a few hours later. I have a theory that the certificates were framed for the audience's sake and not that of the recipients; because they do indeed look way more legit from a distance, but the close-up doesn't lie. The real award, for me anyway, is the fact that one of my stories gets published in Bethel's literary magazine. And I know that all of twenty people read the magazine, and that they are composed of eighteen English students, Dr. Staples, and my grandma; but there's just something cool about seeing a story you wrote in print, no matter the size of the publication. It's a really cool feeling, even if many of my loved ones don't read and the ones who do are required by friendship or blood to tell me they liked my story. If nothing else, I can always go back and look at this little magazine and know that my story was good enough for somebody.

Plus, it was an English department award. So maybe now people will stop asking me what inspired me to be a theatre major, and I can stop having to tell them I'm not a theatre major; I'm just way too dramatic by nature. You think I am making this up. I am not. This really happens.

Anyway. Monday has gone well. A little too well, if you ask me. But hey. I'm hopeful that there will be more good Mondays, and to God be the glory.

And here are Ten Things You Could Do To Make Mondays Better:
[Disclaimer: This list does not include things like praying and reading your Bible because really, those are things you can do to make any day better. So please, don't call me a heathen and slap me with a pancake. It's like when someone asks you what the best thing ever is and you say Nutella instead of Jesus. It's not that Jesus isn't the best. It's just that--here, anyway--that fact is already a given. Sooo...yeah.]

  1. Set a good morning song as your alarm! Let's be honest, if you're one of those people who can't stand happy things, this will last about a week before you murder your alarm clock. But occasionally, it makes waking up a little less difficult. If indeed you enjoy being Grumpy Cat when you wake up, maybe you could set the Imperial March as your alarm. That could set a definite tone for the day.
  2. Scream as loud as you possibly can before getting out of bed. And promise yourself that nothing else about the day will make you scream that loudly. This way, the only direction from there is up! (This advice courtesy of Kolee New.)
  3. Hug somebody! It could be me. It could be your roommate. If you're Michelle Miller, it could be both of those things simultaneously. Or it could be a pet or something that can't actually hug you back but is still worth hugging. There are plenty of great options. 
     
  4. Trust-fall somebody. Bonus points if it's someone you don't know and/or have never seen before. Just walk up, yell "TRUST FALL!" and fall on them. Extra bonus points if the person actually catches you. Super mega bonus points if it ends up being your future spouse!
  5. Smile at someone you usually try to avoid. Even if it ends up looking something like...
    Hey. At least you tried.
  6. Listen to a song you haven't heard in a while. Remember "Drops of Jupiter"? It remembers you.
  7. Stare at a stranger. Then, when said stranger is sufficiently creeped out and asks what the heck you're doing, reply, "You can see me?" Comment with your results.
  8. Start smiling when something makes you angry. If nothing else, it will confuse people to no end.
  9. Eat some cereal before bed. It's a good midnight snack. Also, if it's after midnight, it legitimately counts as breakfast.
    Sorry. I like Family Guy more than I ought to.
  10. Finish your homework. Provided Bethel's Internet is actually working well, that is.




    With that in mind, get excited for Tuesday! And hopefully this "wisdom" can serve you well in your future Monday endeavors. 


2 comments:

  1. My alarm is currently the Mission Impossible theme song.

    And the picture for #10, I started laughing and then had to stifle it quickly when I realized that my roommates were asleep (which for some reason made it even funnier!). Nice touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA well I aim to please :) And I seriously use that Forrest Gump quote all the time.

    ReplyDelete